Saturday, July 12, 2008

Congratulations Brigitte Legault!

Now that I’ve got my thoughts on other matters that happened this week off my chest, I thought I’d focus on some much brighter news that brought a smile to my face and I’m sure that of many others. I’ve never met Brigitte personally, but friends of mine have worked closely with her in the past and every single one of them speaks so highly of her that I’m certain this nomination was long overdue. If you look up Brigitte online you’d find that she’s someone who’s worked hard in the party and is even highly respected by members of other parties. She’s built her way up as President of the Young Liberals of Quebec to being to a campaign co-chair to being VP Francophone of the Liberal Party of Canada and by all accounts done a fantastic job at each step. There's no question she's a rising star. And she’s running in the same riding that I believe Michael Fortier has picked so she’ll be the perfect person to send the unelected minister packing and take this riding back from the Bloc!

I’m always happy to see well-liked and hard-working people like Brigitte be rewarded for their dedication, but I’m also pleased because this is another example of the Liberal Party putting its faith in the brightest youth in the party. We need more talented youth in the House of Commons and while Briggite Legault may be only 28 I’m sure she’ll do an even better job than many members there who are 48 or 68!

A pet issue of mine has also been to encourage more female youth in particular to step forward for party positions and public nominations (and I’ve been working the past few months on an initiative that strives to promote precisely that). We’ve seen many men in their twenties elected to the House of Commons, such as Jean Charest, James Moore and Navdeep Bains, but have any women every been elected as an MP under the age of 30? Even if there has, we need more such bright young minds like Brigitte to come forward and show that they can be a force to be reckoned with!

But if in fact there never has been a female MP under 30, I’m sure I’m far from the only one hoping Brigitte will be the first.


Recommend this Post

0 comments: